Friday, July 14, 2006

Fragrances and Me

Just thinking about few smells that I love... I decided to put them down.

Smell of the pages of a brand new book. I always bury my nose in the pages of new books and close my eyes. I love the feeling, it always calms me down and makes me smile.
Of fresh earth when the rain *just* starts to fall. I love standing the rain and taking in this smell, slowly with my eyes on the sky and my arms spread out. Like an eagle about to soar. It gives me a sense of freedom and of raw beauty. Don't know why...
Smell of turpentine. On paintings, wood..everywhere. Its just powerful yet pleasant.
Acetone. I have loved this smell ever since I learnt how to paint my nails. I loved the smell of it and the sensation of it on my skin. It was as if someone had sprinkled miniscule grains of ice on my bare skin. Ah...
Lavender. Reminds me of tall trees and young women in the 1890s...running across fields of lavender trees in their hats and hooped skirts. This smell soothes me a lot.
Tangerine. Another sharp, yet pleasant smell. I love it for the momentary hint of sharpness it gives and then gives a feeling of chill. It reminds me of winters and well, oranges.
Petrol (that's what we call gas in India). I just love this one. Don't know why.
Coffee. No questions asked.
Eucalyptus. I love the smell of this tree's leaves. Especially when they burn...
Wood shavings. Again, I can't explain why I like this smell. It gives me a very raw and earthy feeling as well. And I love it too...

No comments: