Saturday, May 01, 2010

Shimbun

Because this word has been stuck in my head for three days now, for no reason. Shimbum, Japanese for newspaper.

On Googling this,  I found this top Japanese daily, Yomiuri Shimbun. Here it is for you, if you're curious (translated in English, of course): http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/

This also reminded me of a recent discussion I had with a friend on the censorship of News in the American media. Apparently, most news breaks on international news channels first, before it breaks on American news channels because of stronger censorship laws. Now, being a journalism minor for 4 years and never having bumped into this made me feel a little cheated. Why did all of my professors forget to mention this? Regardless, I am on a mission to find out how true this is. I am going to compare BCC to CNN and see what the deal is. Maybe even Speigel, the German daily.

No comments: