As I sit here, under the burden of wasted time, I cannot help but think about how things would be if that time was not wasted. If indeed, every moment was utilized to the fullest, as many cliches advise us so. Would I be more successful, happier or more wise? It's difficult to know since its an outcome I have not experienced.
Of all the things I complain about on a regular basis, motivation (or lack thereof) is pretty high up on the list. Lack of motivation results in more wasted time, and lesser dreams accomplished. At the end of the day, it is very demoralizing but it is also very much self-orchestrated. Like some sort of vile addiction that is difficult to break even though it leaves the body helpless and sometimes, lifeless.
I wonder if it is possible to change. If it is possible to somehow consciously always remember to be frugal with time. To organize my day so that everything I wish to do in that day actually gets done, and within a reasonable amount of time too. If what can be done in 6 hours is done in 11, it is rather pointless, right?
I am beginning to realize that this, perhaps, is the biggest challenge I will ever face. To do what is right, versus what is easy. Giving in to distraction is easy. Too easy. Perhaps it is time to test whether I have the backbone to pursue what I know in my heart to be right, and my reward will be that I actually get to find out whether there really is a light at the end of the tunnel, rather than wondering for the rest of my life.
If you read this, and know what I'm talking about, it'd be cool if you could share your experience. What do you do when you find yourself in this vicious cycle?
Of all the things I complain about on a regular basis, motivation (or lack thereof) is pretty high up on the list. Lack of motivation results in more wasted time, and lesser dreams accomplished. At the end of the day, it is very demoralizing but it is also very much self-orchestrated. Like some sort of vile addiction that is difficult to break even though it leaves the body helpless and sometimes, lifeless.
I wonder if it is possible to change. If it is possible to somehow consciously always remember to be frugal with time. To organize my day so that everything I wish to do in that day actually gets done, and within a reasonable amount of time too. If what can be done in 6 hours is done in 11, it is rather pointless, right?
I am beginning to realize that this, perhaps, is the biggest challenge I will ever face. To do what is right, versus what is easy. Giving in to distraction is easy. Too easy. Perhaps it is time to test whether I have the backbone to pursue what I know in my heart to be right, and my reward will be that I actually get to find out whether there really is a light at the end of the tunnel, rather than wondering for the rest of my life.
If you read this, and know what I'm talking about, it'd be cool if you could share your experience. What do you do when you find yourself in this vicious cycle?
2 comments:
Meditation would be my advise. I just did a 10 day course called Vipassana. Don't know if you have heard about it. Its a great learning experience. I would say its an answer to all your questions. But doing this course is very difficult and the results take a long time to come. However, once you do realize the wealth, its permanent, till the time you don't stop practicing. www.dhamma.org is their website if you want more info on it. I can tell you more about my experience if you want. :)
Thanks Saket! I am looking into this right now and it seems pretty intriguing, and I wonder if I have enough self-discipline to at least give this a shot. And yes, I would love to hear more about your experience, perhaps over a more personal means of communication! :)
Post a Comment