Monday, February 20, 2012

A Penny for my Thoughts?

How many of you out there can say for certain if and when you're in Love? I mean, how do you know its Love and not some other emotion? How is love different from compassion, affection and desire? You can have felt all those things for one person and yet not loved them. And it could just be because you were fixated on an "idea" of what love is. An idea that would cloud your true judgement about what you were really experiencing.
They say Love can make you move mountains, and fill you with unbelievable amounts of energy and positivity. What about the feeling of pure contentment I get when I fall asleep in their arms? Or how about knowing that I can't move mountains but having a safe place to confront that despair?

I don't know. I am not convinced that anyone really knows either what love is. I think we all seek out, relentlessly so, companionship and a sense of belonging. A someone we can trust, and call exclusively our own, who we are willing to put up with no matter what the cost, what the pain. Because it'd so much worse without them. Is that love? Or dependence? Or familiarity or habit? If you take an abstract enough statement about emotions, you could apply that to any of them, including love.

I feel truly liberated now despite the uncertainty of my emotions. I may not know whether or not I am in Love, but I do know that I am happy, and that I would kill to keep my object of affection in my life. It no longer matters for me to know if I am in love. They also say that "you just know" when you're in Love. Well, perhaps someday, I will just know. But here's to not holding my breath. Cheers!

I am not sure who to credit for this picture.

No comments: