Friday, February 26, 2010

A Mid-Winter Night's Chase

For my brave fellow-adventurer: Yee-Mey Seah.

Whoever thought that staying indoors with a cup of warm, indulgent hot chocolate and plush slippers after a 14 hour long blizzard, obviously didn't know the joys of snow-wrought explorations. What do I mean? You're about to find out.

Necessitated by unavoidable circumstances, which include lack of money and a lack of an air conditioner in my room, I decided that the purchase of a cheap, window air conditioner at some point before summer is inevitable. I felt real smart after I made that decision, so smart, in fact, that I was convinced that this needs to be done after an exceptionally heavy blizzard that had left my surroundings looking like they just jumped out of a Christmas postcard. You with me so far? Good.

Yee-Mey and I on an AC chase. Includes an elusive apartment, a potentially rollerblading asian wife, deja vu and numb toes.

--
This post was started three years ago, on February 26th, and never finished. Clearly, at that time whatever must have seemed like a good reason for not finishing it was very trivial because I do not remember why I didn't.  I have left the original above as it is, because what I am about to write is from a faded memory, and a very different writing style.

It was tough to find the apartment. We had never been to Russell apartments before. So we walked around the grad student housing trying to find it, and when we approached the Rutgers Residential life building, we realized we'd come too far, and backtracked on the same godforsaken path around what looks like a series of pipes and tanks (beyond the parking lot facing the life sciences building). At this point, we were very cold. Me having neglected to wear gloves and a hat again, trying to have a conversation with my face feeling like it was going to fall off. Yee Mey on the other hand, was doing considerably better - carrying just as heavy bag as I did from our first year classes, and just as cold but still telling me about her undergrad adventures quite spiritedly. I remember her telling me about the first time she went ice-skating and kept slipping, and actually almost slipped as she demonstrated how she slipped. Quite a good demonstration, I would say.

Well, we finally arrived at the house, after calling the lady and somewhat understanding what she was saying. This is where this picture was taken by Yee Mey on her phone. Yes, this was when her phone was not quite so smart.

Anyway, we are let in and we go to look at this HUGE airconditioner, that I was specifically told was NOT HUGE and that it was a window AC. She looked at me with slight anger, as if my surprise was unwarranted, and that it was my fault that two of us weren't going to be able to lift that monstrosity of a device, and therefore, were sorry but we couldn't buy it.

And hence, we returned, each to our abode after a fun journey with a perfectly anti-climactic end. It was rather amusing at the time. 

The main reason, however, I finish this post not due to the amusement we got out of it, but rather I want to acknowledge this girl who's been such a wonderful friend in all years since and would probably go walk with me on absolutely pointless chases, in absolutely horrendous weather. All while telling me stories! So, thank you, Yee Mey! I am really lucky to have you as a friend. :)

No comments: