Saturday, March 13, 2010

Documentaries

Today is a day of documentaries, and five are on my current list:

1. Darfur Now.
"A gripping insight into the tragic genocide in Darfur, this documentary highlights the work of six individuals who have taken a role in trying to stop the killings and help the millions of suffering residents of the region." I believe I saw this two years ago, but I am ready for a re-run!
2. Beer Wars.
"With her entertaining documentary, Anat Baron ushers viewers into the backrooms and breweries of the ultracompetitive beer industry and reveals what it takes for independent brewers to compete with the corporate giants who dominate the business."
3. The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive.
I have no Netflix blurb for this, but suffice it to say that it was created by Stephen Fry.
4. Born Into Brothels.
"It is a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in Calcutta's red-light district, where their mothers work as prostitutes to ensure their survival." Finally checking out the hype.
5. Plastic Bag.
"This short film by American director Ramin Bahrani (Goodbye Solo) traces the epic, existential journey of a plastic bag (voiced by Werner Herzog) searching for its lost maker, the woman who took it home from the store and eventually discarded it."
 
Am I missing any good ones? Recommendations are welcome!

No comments: